Friday, September 14, 2007

Bono, coolness, and God

On page 60-61 of Bono, the U2 singer chats about coolness and God:

Coolness might help in your negotiation with people through the world, maybe, but it is impossible to meet God with sunglasses on. It is impossible to meet God without abandon, without exposing yourself, being raw. That's the connection with great music and great art, and that is why it's uncomfortable, that is why cool is the enemy of it, because that's the other reason you wanted to join a band: you wanted to do the cool thing. Trying to capture religious experiences on tape wasn't what you had in mind when you signed up for the job.


For the longest time I tried to be cool, to be someone that I'm not. Life is more fulfilling when I'm just myself, an authentic person -- when I'm more concerned about what God thinks of me than what other people think of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google