Wednesday, January 9, 2008

For the love of baseball

God gave us passions and interests as kids for a reason: He wants us to enjoy ourselves and to know that we are loved by Him. On p. 67 of The Way of the Wild Heart, John Eldredge tells the story of a friend named Curtis:
Curtis is a young friend of mine who not too long ago became an attorney. Shortly after that he also became a father. His nights were just as busy as his days and he knew he was in need of some time just for his heart. 'Curtis, what was it you used to love as a boy?' I asked. 'Baseball,' he said. He played all the time, but life eventually edged it out, and a love of his heart seemed gone forever. Like most men, he just assumed that was that. It's gone. I ran into him maybe six months later in a meeting, and afterward he asked if he might have a word with me. 'This is huge,' he said. 'I asked God what he had for me, and he said 'Baseball.' It felt crazy, but I looked into a local league and found that they needed a player. It's been the best thing I've done in a long time,' he said, a big smile on his face.

While Curtis was able to find his passion for baseball again as a sort of hobby, imagine how much more joyful his life would be if he were able to switch to a career that involved baseball in some way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google