Saturday, January 19, 2008

God brings WeightWatchers founder back to reality

If I created a franchise as successful as WeightWatchers, it might be very easy to let the success go to my head. "Lean Jean" Nidetch, who created WeightWatchers in 1963, developed an inflated ego because of her program's popularity. But God brought her back down to earth, according to a story on Mirror.co.uk:
WeightWatchers quickly went global and Jean went to every branch opening. She says: 'I'd hold three meetings a day, after breakfast, lunch and dinner, because if people are hungry they're not listening.

'Oh, the excitement of it all. It went to my head for a bit and my ego got inflated, I thought I was like Marilyn Monroe.

'I remember getting off a plane somewhere and there were all these people waiting to greet me. I felt great but as I walked down the steps, my bag strap snapped. I watched as my compact, wallet and my mirror fell out and I remembered who I was. It was a reality check - God spoke to me and put me back in my place.'


Nidetch now is 84 years old and living in a retirement community in Coral Springs, Fla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google