Friday, January 11, 2008

Out of gas

On p. 82 of The Way of the Wild Heart, John Eldredge shares the first time that he heard the voice of God. Eldredge was 19 and on a road trip across the West:
We ran out of gas somewhere in Wyoming, way up in the mountains, far from any town. I had been so focused on finding a 'secret fishing spot' a local had let us in on that I failed to watch the fuel gauge, and when we stopped I looked down to realize that we were running on fumes. I felt like an idiot. It was more than 20 miles back to town. We were both new Christians, so we prayed and asked God to help us. Simple, but heartfelt prayers. I heard God reply, I will bring you gas. That was the first time I ever heard the voice of God. Which childlike faith I thought, Great. Let's go fishing. So we left the car by our campsite and spent a few hours down at the river. When we returned, there was a group of young people in their twenties stopped there, and they said, 'We're headed into town this afternoon -- is there anything you guys need?' I said, 'Yeah, could I catch a ride with you? I need to pick up some gas,' to which they replied, 'No problem, man, we'll bring it back for you.' So we went back to fishing.

That's quite a first experience with God's voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google