Friday, October 8, 2010

Breast cancer survivor shares journey

Like most women, Sabrina Goble rarely did her self breast examination for cancer. In 2007, she had a routine mammogram. The gynecologist said that everything was fine, and to come back in a year. But God had something else to show Goble, according to a story in the Cabarrus News:

'My husband and I were touring homes on a Saturday. They had nice outdoor bathrooms with sinks and mirrors and skylights that let the sunlight come through the roof. As I went in, the spaghetti strap on my blouse, that had been falling all day, fell again. In the light from that skylight I saw an indentation on the top of my chest. I ran my hand over it and said 'What is this?' It felt distinctively different. Round. And hard. Like a BB. And I saw it with my eyes.

'So I was in the doctor's office on Monday morning. I want people to know this is not something you put off. You go immediately.

'The surgeon removed the 0.6 centimeter tumor the same week. Five days later, I got the devastating phone call. I was in shock when they told me it was malignant and that a second surgery would have to be scheduled because they didn't get it all.

'At that moment, I fell to my knees in anguish. God spoke to me and said that if I would trust Him, He would use it for something good to help others.'
The breast cancer survivor since has embarked on a campaign to educate women about the importance of self breast exams, mammograms, and how to deal with breast cancer.
Sabrina Goble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google